Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Reminiscence of a Short Telling

This is an old poem of mine, but I wanted to share it with you (no comments/replies needed). Mostly, I am defined by my past, which has led me to become a loving, righteous, self-reliant, educator. But, I also carry those tender memories that allow me to continue forward with a sense of youth-hood. The reason why I laugh a lot, I love unconditionally, and it’s the reason why honesty has been my one true policy. It keeps me (for the most part) worry free… alive without any implications… I am simply just me: loving life whether it’s good or bad, for if it’s bad, I must do something to make me feel better, or I must do something to make it right.

(I’ve printed this poem previously, but it was altered. This is its original form)

A short telling:

Delighted I stand

In a corner obscured by thoughts of childhood memories

Obscured thoughts- by the lashing that ripped open my skin.

Obscured thoughts- by laughter that on that same day was endured

The sun beaming against my face

At no time had I felt out of place.

I understood… this was my fate.

The Volvo that when up in flames

Riding in my mother’s car without a seatbelt,

She truly didn’t care until the cops pulled us over

Soon as he left I became welted all over.

The weekend trips:

Traveling, camping, swimming in the warm southern beaches

Then- back to staying at my Moms for at least a weekend

Hanging out with my baby-bros

My precious siblings- how've they grown?

Grandma picking us up throughout our motherly fights,

after, switching buses throughout the night

Finally, making it home…

I’ve loved my grandma dearly… like I’ve never loved before.

Grandma working 2-3 jobs to provide a living, so much she has taught me

So much… she's got me.

Adoring the man I called father

He was so righteous, in so many ways

He was so loved, how I wish he'd stayed

Watching my uncle, who till this day, I admire

Loving his power- while his spinning inspired

He made me sit throughout the night in the corner of a house party while he spun his records.

Honestly, I didn’t care…cause music suppressed me

I remember how I got made fun of that one time I refused to shower

I poured what ever I could find from the restroom into the sink

I soaked my hair and man, did I stink.

When I sat next to them, they all made fun of me

Now it’s hilarious, but back then they wouldn’t let me be.

Now I laugh… I laugh out tears

Short telling of a life that led me to grow

Short telling of a life, do you want more?

My sweet Great- Grandma and her Scary-Ass Dobermans,

I’d run towards her fence wondering what would come next.

She’d gracefully step outside her place to call off her dogs

I couldn’t understand what took her so long.

They were mean Dobermans, but man, let me say how I loved going over for her oranges.

Her little place filled with ornaments and photos- her scolding me to be more lady-like and continuously asking that I place my shoulders back

I loved the feeling of her soft, tiny, weathered hands.

Delighted I stand with childhood memories the ones I've chosen to keep

Just for a second I'm seriously pain free

Good and bad that’s what I’d seen